In my previous 26+ years of 4D coding I did not have to concern myself with the
same computer being used by different computer users (By this, I mean the user
signed into the computer). Part of that was that long ago, people just didn’t
sign out of the computer, and then the next person sign in as themselves. For
most of our users our application looked after the security, and our
application was the only thing running on the workstations. So even when
tracking, logging of who changed what, and security of who could access what,
was all handled within our application. Therefore the ‘computer user’ was never
changed.

Now having left that world, I am now confronted with having to deal with the
very likely situation where the people on the computer will be signing out from
the computer when they walk away, and when a different person uses the computer
they will be signing in as themselves.

I love writing logs to the local computer while it is running. These log files
are for the programmers to know what is occurring on the computer. Typically
these logs are turned off when there are no problems in the application. They
are used extensively when an application is first handed to the users in Alpha
or beta form. This way we know much better where the problems are, often being
able to fix the issue before they even report it to us. These files do not
contain sensitive data.

Last week I decided I should actually test this out with switching computer
users.

On the MacOS we have been writing this information we write to the Shared
folder. The pathname would be:

~/Users/Shared/ApplicationName/Logs/LogFileName.txt

On Windows it would be:

~/Users/Public/ApplicationName/LogFileName.txt

This has been working great when I am signed in as myself, or if the computer
user does not changed.
A quick check in Terminal shows me the directories and files are created, and I
can write to them as needed.
 -rw-r—r—
Or in Octal format 644

This is fine for the currently signed in user, but not for other users.

Not a problem I am thinking, I will just call terminal from within 4D at
startup and use the chmod command to change the permissions of the folders and
files if they are not read write for all users.

I suspect I am doing something stupid because it is not working.

Questions:

1. Is this the right location I should be saving this kind of information?
2. Is my logic and steps correct and I am obviously not writing my terminal
commands right?
3. Or, rather is it - Dah, no don’t do it that way do it this way?

Thanks

Jody

Jody Bevan
Developer