Robert,
I wouldn't presume to argue with Tim on best practices but will say I've
been doing those sorts of updates to my built server app for - years. I've
never has an issue that tracked back to it. Yet.

The main benefit is users don't have to wait through downloading a new set
of Resources/Components and Plugins after each update. Over HTTP this can
be a long slog.

The downside, which is why 4D recommends against it I suspect, if that it's
totally on you be sure there isn't some little thing in
Resources/Components/Plugins that may have changed and causes problems. If
the app builds successfully you know that everything in the database folder
is OK to work together.

However, with that said there may be a lot of little things in place on a
production server that have no relevance anywhere else. Or you can't really
duplicate. SSL certs, web folders, other kinds of configuration files.
Updating a server is not a small thing.

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 10:44 AM Robert ListMail via 4D_Tech <
4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> I recently started to use built client/server more often since I inherited
> a client that was already doing that. I was told by another developer that
> when doing a structure change that I can simply swap the .4DC file and I’m
> done. 4D TS suggests that this is not wise and that I should probably use
> rsync or simply supply the whole built client each time. So, what do you do?
>
> Also, when building the built client/server do you use the 4D commands
> with the XML project or do you use the GUI?
>
> I was happily using the GUI and editing the engined server link file in
> the client such that it points to the correctly deployed server as it
> defaults to the local development server…..  However, I found another
> issue, the backup settings and maybe the cache settings were not set on the
> deployed server deliverable and I set these manually. How do you manage
> these settings?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Robert

Kirk Brooks