Peter,
In a low transaction environment it's probably not an issue. But if the
copy happens to take place during a cache flush you can wind up with a
corrupted datafile. It's easily fixed by MSC but a record or two may be
lost. I've experienced this myself by making a copy of a live datafile on a
system with maybe 10 users logged in at the moment. It works most of
the time but fails a non-trivial number of times.

I would try to convey to the vendor that the architecture of 4D is not one
that lends itself to this type of backup.

If they won't give you an external drive the backup and log file is the
final word. Client's risk, client's choice.

--
Kirk Brooks
San Francisco, CA

*We go vote - they go home*