At a minimum, I just have the simple need of recording “CreatedBy” and
“ModifiedBy” values (username or ID) for one particular table. I do have extra
fields already in that table that could be repurposed and I would probably add
“DateModified” to that. However, that’s three fields used just for auditing.
When I look back at previous posts I see that some of you are tracking (saving
audit data for) for tables and even individual fields. So, as I have a chance
to redesign this DB, I wanted to re-think how this is implemented.

So, Chip, when you have the need to store the username (or ID) of the user that
created and/or last modified a key record, do you ever have this data in the
field of the original record? I’m sure I have seen this more commonly where the
data is in the original record. I guess to keep things normalized, you would
use a related table (or a standalone table) where each transaction that you
want to remember is stored. However, with the separate table method I suppose
you would have to search this audit table every time your detail form is loaded
(assuming you want to show who created or modified a record) and that each time
the record is updated the audit table would be getting a new record.

Thoughts about your data audit strategy are appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Robert Broussard
Houston, TX