Hi Tim,

You have clearly a lot of experience with this, and I have none, so I probably
shouldn’t have joined the thread. However, I have a long standing interest in
SSO and Authentication in general.

What I’ve found, after working many years for a large enterprise organization
which has very high information security standards, is that System
Administrators don’t like custom user access systems and Auditors like them
even less. What they do like are things like Active Directory and LDAP. So my
point is that any 4D app in an enterprise environment should use the enterprise
standard. Now that 4D has the tools to use Active Directory, they should be
used exclusively, without any custom feature access management buried inside
the application. System Administrators want to set access privileges in Active
Directory, not in 4D (and they definitely don’t want to do it both places).
I’ve never done the work in 4D, so I don’t have any implementation details on
how this would be done in 4D, but it appears, from the 4D Blog posting, that
v17R3 can do this.

Having said that, I think there are lots of places where ‘hybrid’ systems like
the ones you’ve described are appropriate.

BTW, at my previous employer, a Fortune 6 company, the term SSO meant that you
had one username and password which you had to enter every time you logged into
an application. That’s not the traditional definition of SSO, and I was annoyed
every time I had to log in using the “Single Sign On” dialog! So, there seems
to be a range of definitions for SSO.

Tom Benedict