This is an old-style process variable declared as text array. The
popup/dropdown displays the 0 element value properly when the array is empty,
but does not display it when the array has elements.

that has not been my experience (the array is not empty)
to be precise, I used v17.232641 on Mojave, using default values and a process
array.

I had looked at the code and didn’t see that, but noticed the objects on the
form appeared to have a choice list set in the property editor.

perhaps you mean the official HDI example:
https://download.4d.com/Demos/4D_v14/HDI/Use-Popups-with-Variables.zip

my example was here:
https://forums.4d.com/4DBB_Main/x_User/298210/files/28213957.zip

the popup object does have a list (empty) associated,
but that is to expose the list-specific properties in the property list.
I call OBJECT SET LIST BY... during On Load.
I also store a key-value pair of the object and list in Form,
to clear the reference when done.