It's sad that Apple is so busy designing dongles and thinking about new iPhones
that making basic Mac software work as it should is not on the table, this is
on the back-burner for sure.

The Problem: When I define a folder to be shared as a Time Machine volume via
the Sharing control panel (this is a server functionality made possible in
Mojave, however it does not seem to work). When I try to use the backup
destination, I'm told that there is a problem with the network username or
password. When I initially setup the TM volume and enter the credentials there
is no issue reported. When I try to mount the volume in the Finder it
immediately uses credentials from the keychain, I'm not prompted. When I try to
disconnect the volume it reconnects immediately. Each time this fails you
seemingly have to delete the TM destination on the client side and re-select,
re-authenticate, re-define the encryption password....  WHAT A MESS! Any
thoughts about this mess of an OS?  Do you remember when things just worked and
everything from Apple was not simply a PITA?

Thanks,

Robert