Thanks Tom!

the end goal is a single report (this would be done in 4D), summarizing
information across all 4 commercial applications.
What I know about the internal workings of any of the 4 sql programs = 0
From the description - there is no official outline of the report yet
- each program contains information regarding 'projects'.
- each program was written/maintained by separate software developers
- each program has part of the data needed for the desired final report
product

I am currently in the 'can this be done?' phase, so I am just trying to
get a feel for what is reasonable to be able to do.
However, honestly, even if I can get schema and raw data access - I am
not sure that coordination of all the data will be practical, let alone
possible - especially with little or no input from the 4 vendors.......

Chip
On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 04:51:41 -0700, Tom Benedict wrote:
> Hi Chip,
>
> The answer is yes to your three questions, but access to the
> table/fields schema will need to be granted to the user. Also, “
> automagically’ creating a matching 4D structure will require you
> write code, so it’s not very ‘magic’. ;)
>
> Extracting data should be straightforward. It’s just a matter of
> writing queries (SELECT) and putting the returned arrays into records
> or write to text files.
>
> It’s possible to SYNCHRONIZE 4D tables with SQL tables, but I have
> no experience with that feature.
>
> Is the goal to generate the reports in 4D? Or in SQL?
>
> HTH,
>
> Tom Benedict
>
>> On Oct 8, 2019, at 22:04, Chip Scheide via 4D_Tech
>> <4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:
>>
>> My use of SQL is very limited...
>> I have been asked to try to gather data from 4 separate commercial
>> databases (assumed to be running some SQL compliant system of
>> unknown origin - i.e. mysql, ms sql server etc) and try to
>> coordinate the data and produce a report summarizing the combined
>> data.
>>
>> so.. I have a few questions...
>>
>> Given:
>> - any version of 4D from v13 -> v17
>> - an unknown SQL compliant database
>> - a valid username/password
>>
>> is it possible/reasonable to be able to:
>> - get the table/field 'structure' (schema?) of the SQL system
>> - use the table/field info to automagically create a matching 4D structure?
>> - extract data (to text, or into a 4D system) from the SQL system
>>

>> Thanks
>> Chip

Gas is for washing parts
Alcohol is for drinkin'