Hi Pat,

I have managed to find a solution to the 4D Service.

Recap of the problem :  When the data files are sitting on a repository
different from the 4D Server and structure files, running the database
application as a Windows service will fail.  The Windows log event will
indicate an error with Event ID 9 - Can’t open database.  I surmised that the
issue resulted from the Windows service not being able to locate the data file
when started.

How it was solved …
Map the network drive that contains the 4D data files (so that it’s always
available when the 4D Server is rebooted.
Define the 4D service and specify the log-on user using the same administrator
account as per the log-in administrator account for the 4D Server.
Start up 4D Server as a direct app and point the to the data file on the
network drive.
Register the 4D Service.
Most critically, the path on the 4D Service has to be modified.  On definition,
the path only points to the 4D Server app on C drive and the the 4D structure
files, not the data files.  So I ran RegEdit to edit the registry and change
the path to the Windows Service to the 4D Link link created in step 3.  The
path on the Windows Service would be as follows :
C:\Program Files\4D\4D v17.2\4D Server\4D Server.exe -s
"C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\4D Server\Favorites
v17\Local\ApplicationDbv17.4Dlink”
With this, the service ran happily (ever after?)

Regards,
Ronnie