I’d like to use an external data modeling tool to display my 4D structure file.
Ultimately I want to print the 4D Structure. I’ve tried all the 4D components
and scripts and they all seem to have shortcomings. Right now I’m in the middle
of a tedious screenshot, export, panoramic merge in SnagIt process which is
fragile. I’m losing interest in that process and am hoping for something that
is repeatable.

To that end, I’m investigating whether there is a way to use the XML file that
4D creates via the EXPORT STRUCTURE command in a non-4D tool (like SQL Server
Management Studio, MySQL Workbench etc) to create an Entity Relationship
Diagram which I can manipulate and print.

I have a 4D method which generates a SQL DDL, but it doesn’t include relations.
So now I’m looking at the XML structure file as a possibility. I’ve tried to
work with it in XMLSpy, but I don’t know enough about XSD, XSL, DTD and XML to
make much headway.

Has anyone else done this?

Thanks,

Tom Benedict