Hi All,

An important customer of mine has requested that all documents, sent to him,
are UTF-8 encoded.
This concerns PDF files, text files, Word, Excel, picture files.

I did some tests, but can’t figure out how to do that.

If, e.g., I look at a pdf file in BBEdit, it says ‘Mac Roman’.

Then I tried to open that file in 4D (v17, UTF-8) with document to blob
then:

DOCUMENT TO BLOB(document;$blob)
$DocBlobtxt:=Convert to text(blob;2027)  // 2027 = MacOS Roman
TEXT TO BLOB($DocBlobtxt;$docblobUTF8;UTF8 text without length)

It seems to do that correctly, but then, this file cannot be opened in preview
( Opens, but content is blanc)

The other thing is that I need to know the encoding of the file before using
‘Convert to text’. That is not always possible.

Is this request feasible to start with?

Any ideas how to accomplish that?

Regards,

Rudy Mortier