Thanks to all who responded. I am really confused now. Turns out the problem
was in fact what I suspected all along… the end of row delimiter was a line
feed and not a carriage return.

This begs a few questions …

        Why did this change all of a sudden. I had been working with the same
text document for most of the day and it was working fine. This is an old
project and I have never had an issue with this particular section of cade
before.

        On a Mac doesn’t TextEdit use carriage returns? It has always done so
for me in the past. If I hit the return key on my keyboard it should be a
carriage return. As soon as I saw this problem earlier today, I re-typed all
the paragraph endings with a return using the return key on my keyboard in
TextEdit. In the past if there was a line feed in the document it always showed
up as a blank character. In other words, back space the carriage return and you
had to backspace one more time to get to the end of the paragraph.

        No need to respond. I knew what the problem most likely was before I
sent my first message. Thanks to Spencer Hinsdale for suggesting to use USE
CHARACTER SET("iso-8859-1";1). It revealed the \n in the returned package.
Otherwise I would have continued to chase my tail on this one.

John