Hi All,

I'm actually announcing this month's Cryptonoise more than 3 days in
advance, and we've even got a guest speaker lined up!

Join us Thursday 28 February in Aberdeen when we'll hear from ORG’s
executive director Jim Killock about the current state of digital
censorship in the UK . We'll consider findings in ORG's new report on UK
Internet regulation which reviews both formal and informal pracitices of
digital censorship in the UK.

https://www.openrightsgroup.org/about/reports/uk-internet-regulation

When it comes to web blocking, the same rules do not apply online as
offline. Many powers and practices the government employs to remove
online content would be deemed unacceptable if they were applied to
offline publications.

We'll cover the following:
Formal censorship practices

 *  Copyright blocking injunctions
 *  BBFC pornography blocking
 *  BBFC requests to “Ancillary Service Providers”

Informal censorship practices

 *  Nominet domain suspensions
 *  The Counter Terrorism Internet Referral Unit (CTIRU)
 *  The Internet Watch Foundation (IWF)
 *  ISP content filtering

There will be an opportunity to ask questions and to find out how to
take action to fight digital censorship.

https://opentechcalendar.co.uk/event/8080-cryptonoise-aberdeen-digital-censorship-in-the-uk

https://www.meetup.com/ORG-Aberdeen/events/258910562/

Thanks,
Iain.

57North Hacklab Ltd. is a company registered in Scotland (No. SC470230).
57North and 57North Hacklab are trading names of 57North Hacklab Ltd.