On Thu, January 15, 2009 3:12 am, quen...@64studio.com wrote:

> Not at all sure... RT is flashing in qjackctl, so I assumed it was running
> RT.

Then you probably were.  IIRC, jackd wouldn't start for me with the -R
option.

> When you have time, please let me know what you did so I can try it on
> this lower powered laptop of mine.  It serves as a good benchmark to new
> setups and kernels as it runs well under 2.1 with 2.6.21, but anything
> worse fails.

OK, I dug up all my old memories.  The kernel I used was 2.6.26.5-rt9.  I
flipped a coin and chose CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED and CONFIG_USER_SCHED
instead of CONFIG_CGROUP_SCHED.  In order to have RT permission, I would
have to do something like:

$ sudo echo -n 75 > /sys/kernel/uids/$UID/cpu_rt_runtime_us

Then I could set stuff with realtime priority and it worked OK.  Machine
is 500MHz PIII with about 384MB of memory.

However, it looks like Free has used the _OTHER_ scheduling paradigm.
When I started JACK, it appeared to take the -R flag just fine.  I haven't
had a chance to try any audio projects, yet.

In the end, I abandoned the 2.6.26 kernel because I was having other
issues (which I can't remember any more).  I want to say that I was
getting periodic freeze-ups (or something) on two different machines...
but I can't find the key to that memory.  That problem was probably
between the chair and the monitor, though.

--
               G a b r i e l   M   B e d d i n g f i e l d