> Hi :)
>
> I guess this is something the developers list should take note off. If
> somebody from the developers list should reply, please reply to the
> users list and/or directly to me.
>
> Gustin Johnson wrote:
>> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>
>>> Ubuntu only has a mystic 'xorg.conf' different to the configurations
>>> by other Linux distros.
>>>
>> Yes, this is an attempt to make things easier.
>
> After I set the proprietary ATI driver without success, I tried
> different xorg.conf settings for the VESA driver I used before and
> couldn't get back a resolution of 1024x768. It's non-transparent were
> or in which way the settings needs to be done. I tried different
> settings for xorg.conf, all settings failed. I've got a backup of my
> 64 Studio, but don't know which files I need to restore. Just
> restoring xorg.conf fails. For me this is an attempt to make Linux
> become as non-transparent as Windows, but Windows has got the
> advantage to work and not to fail for issues like this, so
> transparency isn't needed from this point of view. I don't know any
> other Linux distro that makes easy to do things as complicated as
> Ubuntu does.
>
> Do I need to restore the whole 64 Studio by my backup, just because
> the proprietary ATI stuff failed? If this would happen for the Debian
> based 2.1, I only need to restore the xorg.conf and for doing this I
> even don't need a backup of the xorg.conf.
>
> In the internet I couldn't find what are the relevant files for the X
> settings for Hardy.
>
> This is a PITA. If a distro does something extremely unusual to other
> distros, there should be easy to find howtos about this unusual
> issues, but there aren't.
>
> Can anybody help? It's important to know where this settings are done,
> to have the same resolution for GDM that's used with GNOME and
> especially not every WM has applications like GNOME and KDE have got
> to do graphics settings, especially if somebody is using a WM without
> an DE. The configuration files not only are needed for people who got
> trouble because the installation of a proprietary graphics driver failed.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

Hi :)

I tried to find the files that differ, but TAR doesn't work the way I
supposed it to do.

spinymouse-s...@64studio:~$ sudo -i
r...@64studio:~# cp -r /etc/X11 /usr/src/fglrx.trouble.tmp.bak
r...@64studio:~# cp -r /etc/gdm /usr/src/fglrx.trouble.tmp.bak
r...@64studio:~# cd /media/INTENSO
r...@64studio:/media/INTENSO# ls
01.BAK9  64studio3.0-beta3-2009-07-08.tar  64studio3.0-beta3-2009-08-02.tar
r...@64studio:/media/INTENSO# tar -d -f 64studio3.0-beta3-2009-08-02.tar
/etc/X11/
tar: /etc/X11: Not found in archive

I'm referring to "tar -d -f archiv.tar /home/billy/work/"
(http://209.85.135.132/linux?q=cache:0PJ2nbEgMNIJ:www.derobiwan.de/fileadmin/arbeiten/wpm/linux/Datensicherung%2520mit%2520tar.doc+%22tar+-d%22&cd=6&hl=de&ct=clnk&gl=de)
When I tried to restore /X11 it happened the same.

r...@64studio:/media/INTENSO# tar -x --overwrite --same-owner -f
64studio3.0-beta3-2009-08-02.tar /etc/X11/
tar: /etc/X11: Not found in archive

I made the backup by another Linux install, but I tried to diff and to
restore /X11 by the running 3.0-beta3 installation itself. Because the
GNOME archive manager in the past didn't show all files and folders,
e.g. it didn't show empty folders, I launched Ark.

r...@64studio:/media/INTENSO# /usr/lib/kde4/bin/ark

Ark couldn't extract /X11 from the archive to /etc of the running 64
Studio, but it was able e.g. to open xorg.conf from the archive by an
editor. Maybe my bad, because I didn't check the preferences of the
application. Then I tried the GNOME archive manager.

r...@64studio:/media/INTENSO# file-roller

It didn't work to, even if the settings were checked. I tried to extract
/X11 from the archive to the Desktop again by using file-roller, the
GNOME archive manager. This time it was fine.

r...@64studio:/media/INTENSO# rm -r /etc/X11
r...@64studio:/media/INTENSO# mv /home/spinymouse-sudo/Desktop/X11 /etc

I had the suspicion that all the needed files are in /etc/X11 or in
/etc/X11 and /etc/gdm, that's why I only restored /X11 and then pushed
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace. Again X failed, 1024x768 wasn't available.

spinymouse-s...@64studio:~$ sudo -i
r...@64studio:~# displayconfig-gtk
r...@64studio:~# file-roller

At this point file-roller did extract /etc/X11 and /etc/gdm to the Desktop.

r...@64studio:~# rm -r /etc/gdm /etc/X11
r...@64studio:~# mv /home/spinymouse-sudo/Desktop/gdm /etc
r...@64studio:~# mv /home/spinymouse-sudo/Desktop/X11 /etc

I decided to restart 64 Studio. Again X failed ...
This time I removed the proprietary stuff and some dependencies I
installed, because it's written that those are needed by using Kubuntu.
I'm using 64 Studio with an additional KDE4, even if I most times run
GNOME. When I restarted last time I got the error or warning, that KDM
isn't the default, that's right, it should be GDM. The backup's
/etc/kde4/kdm/kdm.options doesm't differ to the installation's kdm.options.

r...@64studio:~# apt-get remove fglrx-amdcccle fglrx-kernel-source
fglrx-modaliases libamdxvba1 xorg-driver-fglrx xorg-driver-fglrx-dev
cdbs dkms fakerootReading package lists... Done
[snip]
Removing cdbs ...
Removing xorg-driver-fglrx-dev ...
Removing fglrx-amdcccle ...
Removing xorg-driver-fglrx ...
Removing fglrx-kernel-source ...
Removing all DKMS Modules
Done.
Removing dkms ...
0
Removing fakeroot ...
Removing fglrx-modaliases ...
Removing libamdxvba1 ...
Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
r...@64studio:~# apt-get autoremove
[snip]
Removing debhelper ...
Removing html2text ...
Removing po-debconf ...
Removing intltool-debian ...
r...@64studio:~# apt-get install gdm
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
gdm is already the newest version.
r...@64studio:~# apt-get check
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done

Again ...

r...@64studio:~# file-roller
r...@64studio:~# rm -r /etc/gdm /etc/X11
r...@64studio:~# mv /home/spinymouse-sudo/Desktop/gdm /etc
r...@64studio:~# mv /home/spinymouse-sudo/Desktop/X11 /etc

Restart ...

At shutdown I again got something similar to a warning about an "invalid
xdmcp setting", I missed reading the latest startup messages.

spinymouse-s...@64studio:~$ sudo displayconfig-gtk

The resolution now is fine again at 1024x768, but the fonts seems to be
too small. The appearance settings say that the fonts should be all
right, maybe I'm just stressed and confused because of the giant fonts
while the resolution was forced to be under 1024x768.

The rest (maybe also the fonts) seems to be as it was before I tried out
the proprietary ATI stuff, this is fine, but not perfect, e.g. because
GDM's X settings differ to the GNOME and KDE X settings.

Okay I made a reset, some screenshots of other Linux installs and
compared them with 3.0-beta3, everything seems to be all right with the
fonts, there wasn't any message at the shutdown any more.

I should try to build the proprietary ATI stuff without the additional
packages that are needed for Kubuntu.

There are still some contradictions.

xorg 7.3 OK, kernel 2.6 OK, /dev/shm OK, libstdc++ OK, libgcc OK, gcc OK

But what's about glibc 2.2 or 2.3, XFree86-Mesa-libGL, XFree86-libs,
fontconfig, freetype, zlib? What are they named for 64 Studio 3.0-beta3/
Ubuntu Hardy?

Maybe those are bad or missing for ATI's proprietary script.

spinymouse-s...@64studio:~$ sudo -i
r...@64studio:~# rm -r /usr/src/fglrx* /usr/src/libamd*
/usr/src/xorg-driver-fglrx*

Everything seems to be cleaned now. If you recommend that I should
backup the complete 64 Studio install from the backup, I might do that
after making a new backup of my /home. After making a complete backup I
only need to upgrade some packages and restore the latest /home. But
removing the packages I removed and restoring /etc/X11 and /etc/gmd
seems to be enough to fix everything.

Any hints are welcome ;)!

Cheers,
Ralf