On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 22:21:14 +0100
Michael Jarosch <riotso...@riotmusic.de> wrote:

> Am Montag, den 16.03.2009, 20:45 +0000 schrieb Folderol:
> > My machine has an Asus M2NPV-VM Motherboard with Athlon 64 Dual Core
> > 4200 processor. The monitor is a gnr F173
> >
> > I've always had problems with getting 64studio to get this to give
> > me decent screen resolution. It seems to want to only give 800x600. I
> > never have a problem with mandriva, pclinuxos, mepis etc.
> >
> > With the older versions of 64studio I found the answer was to simply
> > change the driver in xorg.conf to 'vesa' - probably a horrible hack but
> > it worked.
> >
> > However I didn't expect to get the same problem with the latest and
> > greatest, so am considerably disappointed. Now, however I can't use the
> > same kludge as xorg have changed the way the config file works to one
> > I don't understand.
> >
> > I really need a *simple* way to sort this out once and for all. To all
> > practical purposes the system is unusable. Fortunately I put the beta
> > on a spare partition I keep specifically for such trials, so am able to
> > carry on working with 2.1
> >

> The xorg.conf works like the old version, but most of the configuration
> now is autodetected. If you add a line with the driver it will be
> considered.
>
> I googled for your motherboard to get some information about your
> onboard-GPU. It's a nVidia GeForce 6150, right? So your monitor seems to
> cause the trouble. I guess it doesn't support DDC and that's why
> 64Studio can't figure out, what resolution or refresh frequency is the
> correct one.
> So maybe you should also add the vertical and the horizontal refresh
> rates to use the "nv" driver, which is certainly a better choice.
>
> Greetings
> Mitsch

Thanks for your reply. I wasn't aware that I could still set
parameters by hand.

It seems there is more to this than just not detecting the monitor. As
I said some distros do seem to be able to detect it and configure
everything correctly. Also, just setting the screenmodes is not enough.
I also still have to set the driver to vesa.

Previously I found the nvidia proprietry drivers would work, but that
then messes up RT stability, so I'm not going to bother with that
again.

Does the new version of 64studio have a spash screen? I get just a text
start up until the login box. I've also set vga=791 in menu.lst

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk