Hi Will :)

Folderol wrote:
Midisport support broken

What does "broken" exactly mean?

On LAD there are David and Arnout having latency when using MIDISport IIRC and I added that I've got jitter for my Swissonic USB device. There might be a problem for some devices.

Is the MIDISport completely out of order for you? Or is there a latency or jitter issue?

Unable to get correct monitor resolution, on several different monitors.

The first thing to do, is to get rid of this odd Ubuntu /etc/X11/xorg.conf. I add my actual X11 as an example how to get rid of this Ubuntu default insanity. The problem is, that "normal" xorg.confs from Non-Ubuntu distros can't taken over.

Surprisingly the solution to this was to simply install a graphics card
instead of using the on-board chip set (and this is an asus board). The
new card is a GeForce 7300GS - a middle-of-the-road card.

Might be also a solution ;).

Unable to compile various programs.

I had to take a chance on this as it turned out a number of libraries
are getting quite out of date. The solution was to add debian lenny to
the repositories list and upgrade build-essential, cmake, fltk, mxml.
There were others, but I forget what they were now - sorry.

You're speaking of 2.1 and not 3.0-beta3?

There are some conflicts for 3.0 too, but I wouldn't add the Lenny repository. I guess there're some sources especially for Ubuntu and by the way, a 32bit chroot really works for some applications.

This also pulled in a number of upgrades to audio packages, but broke
Rosegarden, which had to be removed, then compiled and installed
manually. I also had to run alsaconf but that's no real problem.

The only problem for me is the outdated libfluidsynth, because I'm using Qtractor. I can imagine that Guitarix, Rakkarak and some mixing consoles might be problematic. Muse doesn't work, while I heard that for other people on other distros it should be fine.

All in all IMO 3.0-beta3 is fine, even if it's based on the outdated Hardy. USB MIDI seems to be a problem in general for Linux, even though USB MIDI should be the best choice for MIDI.

Cheers,
Ralf
# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "de"
        Option          "XkbVariant"    "ro"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "lv3:ralt_switch"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
        Boardname       "VESA driver (generic)"
        Busid           "PCI:1:5:0"
        Driver          "radeon"
        Screen  0
        Option          "MergedFB"      "off"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
        Vendorname      "Plug 'n' Play"
        Modelname       "Plug 'n' Play"
  modeline  "1024x...@60" 25.2 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -vsync -hsync
        Gamma   1.0
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
        Device          "Configured Video Device"
        Defaultdepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth   24
                Virtual 1024    768