On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Frank Smith <frsm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 September 2010 15:57, Folderol <folde...@ukfsn.org> wrote:

>> > Typically we no longer need to mess with the xorg.conf file.
>>
>> Unfortunately this depends a lot on the monitor. There are quite a few
>> mid-range monitors that simply are not recognised by the 'new' xorg,
>> older versions that actually need xorg.conf don't seem to have a
>> problem.
>>
>> Go figure ???
>
>  Hi All
> My monitor is an HP w2007v 20"
> Which I don't think is that old.
> I couldn't get xrandr to change anything.
> I don't understand why the 'older' xorg.conf seemed to eventually work.

It depends on the version of X, the state of the drivers, and the
hardware itself.

> I had input vert and hysnyc on the one that was generated on install.
> Maybe when I used envyng it actually found the NV driver, as this didn't
> seem to be on the system at install.

There are actually three different drivers; envyng, nv, and nvidia
(glx).  It does not really matter but I am curious which driver is
actually being used.

> Talking of the nvidia-glx
> When I used synaptic to install this it failed to install then I could not
> un-install it.
> This then stopped synaptic from working.
> After a day online I eventually found I had to do mkdir /usr/lib32
> this then allowed synaptic to remove the offending file.
> Is this an error with synaptic?

Could be a bug in that package as well.
If I have a need for the GLX driver, I have had far better luck in
getting the driver from nvidia.com.  The install process is a bit more
manual but it does work.  Lately I have been avoiding both of them.
Intel, for all their problems, have given me far less grief than
either nVidia or ATI/AMD.  With the radeonhd driver and newer ATI/AMD
devices, I have hope that things will get better in the future.