Dear all,

The OpenWSN community recently has a question related to the calculation of
RANK in minimal draft. and I would like share with you.

In minimal draft, the link quality is measured by ETX=(numTX/numTXAck).

1. At the beginning of the network, numTxACK is zero. we need to give a
default value of ETX for this case in the draft.
2. what the value should be?
In OpenWSN, this value is set to 15, which assume the link is very bad.
This assumption would cause an issue in following example case.

*EXAMPLE:*
Image there are four nodes in the network, node 1 is the dagroot.
The topology of the network is linear at beginning.

Node 1 <- Node 2 <- Node 3 <- Node 4

After a while, four node get their own RANK. Let assume numTx and numTxACK
are 100 and 75 as the same with the example in minimal draft.
Node    RANK
1          255
2          768
3         1280
4         1792
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-15#page-17

Then we move node 4 towards node 2 so that node 2 will be one neighbor of
node 4.  when node 4 heard the DIO of node 2, because node 4 doesn't have
any packet send to node 2, so the numTxACK to node 2 is 0.
If we use 15 as the default ETX value, then RANK calculated based on node 2
is
768 + (3*15-2)*256=11776
This is much larger than 1792 which is calculated based on node 3's rank.
So node 4 will still stick to node 3 as its parent.
Also since there will be no packet send to node 2 from node 4, the numTxACK
will keep to zero.

If the link quality from node 4 to node 2 is the same with other links',
 apparently, node 2 has a shorter path to node 1 then node 3.

So Here are the proposal:
1  define a default linkcost value (ETX) for the case when numTxACK is zero
2. set its value to 1, which assumes the link quality (ETX) is 1,

What do you think?

Tengfei

--
Chang Tengfei,
Pre-Postdoctoral Research Engineer, Inria