Christian Amsüss <christ...@amsuess.com> wrote:
    > So before going on with questions about "how would any of this be
    > signaled", my question is:

    > * Do RFCs 9030/9031 allow that a device uses an explicit frame counter,
    > which it increments in its own pace?

They don't say anything about it, I think.
It's an IEEE/802.15.4 issue.

6tisch specifies TSCH mode, which includes the ASN.
(To be clear: Christian is trying to come up with something non-TSCH that can
be used for plain 802.15.4, but which does not use 802.15.9 to do per-pair
keying)

    >   * If yes, shouldn't there be more stern words in 9031 about allowing
    > a new key to be used with the same EUI-64 (considering that the device
    > may not get a short identifier)?

The EUI-64 goes into the key schedule.
Different EUI-64s get different keys, even if the counter is the same.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-