No disagreements here,  simply that debian/ubuntu have a safer version of
emerge sync && emerge -uv world.   aptitude update && aptitude upgrade.  And
if you ever want to upgrade to the newest version, no need to reinstall. Just
update our sources.lst and do an aptitude dist-upgrade.  The nice thing about
ubuntu is that they have a 6 month release cycle.  If you want you can stay
on the bleeding edge of everything, or you can stay with the 6 month cycle
and only update when security bugs are found.

-joel