  From: Ragi Y. Burhum
  To: 909linux@909linux.org
  Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 5:29 AM
  Subject: Re: [909linux] FYI: the OCPL project / Peru (do...@hawcenter.org)

  On 6/20/07, 909linux-requ...@909linux.org <909linux-requ...@909linux.org >
wrote:

    Message: 1
    Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 09:31:57 -0700
    From: " do...@hawcenter.org" <do...@hawcenter.org>
    Subject: [909linux] FYI: the OCPL project / Peru
    To: <909linux@909linux.org >

    I sent the following message out to the LUGIE list just now and Randall
Whitman suggested I also post it here - Donna.

    Hi All,

    Some of you have expressed an interest in the "One Laptop Per Child"
project being spearheaded by Nicholas Negroponte, fromerly the head of the
Media Lab at MIT.

    As some of you know, I am the founder of the Hawthorne Center (located
behind my house in the Fontana area) and am supporting several projects - such
as building a robotics interface - being developed by Ben Cooper in Squeak, a
free version of Smalltak - the pure OOP language first developed by Alan Kay in
the 70s-80s.

    For the last 5(?) years Alan has been intimately involved with Negroponte
in developing the OLPC project. Particularly, he has been working to have his
baby - EToys - ported to this machine. Go to www.squeakland.org to read more
about EToys.

    The following message was just sent to the Squeak Smalltalk Developers list
by Alan Kay:

    Hi Folks --

    Peru is starting to show a lot of interest in the OLPC project and
    (because Squeak and EToys run on the OLPC XO) Nicholas has asked me if we
know of any Peruvian Squeakers (or South American Squeakers who might be
interested in visiting Peru).

    ????

    Cheers,

    Alan

    If anyone wants to get more info/ know more about Squeak, get back to me
and I will take it from there.
    Thanks,
    Donna
    909-350-0311