> Once again, I find myself in the unhappy, but familiar,
> place of being befuddled by security/authentication.

I know it's bad form to reply to your own question,
but I've gotten a bit farther.  I realized that
/bin/service/tcp564 isn't the right way to go about
it.  After a good slap on the forehead, I am now
starting listen from fscons.  I'm now able to 9fs
on the server and it works like I expect.  However,
I still have no joy from P9P.  The command:

9 srv -a xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx test

triggers factotum to prompt for the user and password
but then gives the error:

authdial: Connection refused
srv: authproxy: auth_proxy rpc: p9any client get tickets: p9sk1: gettickets:
Connection refused

Obviously, I've still got something not right in the
authentication world.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
BLS