erik quanstrom wrote:

with
a 1 machine solution, i don't need any more disks to have a full
mirror and i have the option of raid5 which will reduce the number
of disks i need to 10TB + 1 disk.  since your model is that the
storage is a significant expense, a single raid5 machine would make
more sense.

Reliance on striping for redundancy frightens a number of us perhaps uninformed folks. It just seems like too much could go wrong with such a complex scheme. We sleep better knowing there's a mirrored drive in another location.

As for cost, we just imagine it's 2003, a gigabyte costs five bucks, but our astute purchasing skills got storage for less than a tenth of that...