Russ Cox wrote:

<snip>

If you want to violate a convention, Plan 9 won't stop you,
but in doing so you give up compatibility with programs that
depend on that convention (bind /net/tcp /proc; ps). Sure, you could replace ctl and clone and other special files with reads
and writes at magic offsets, but in doing so you give up accessing
those files with standard programs like echo and cat.  For me,
the main benefit of user-level file servers is exactly that I can
interact with them from a wide variety of programs, including
scripts and interactive shell sessions.  I'd need a pretty compelling
reason before I gave that up.

Thank you. Posts like these are the reason I follow this list, even though I do not have Plan9 installed! (I have an interest in operating system design and a background in filesystems.)