By disk controller I mean the chipset that handles your disk.
I believe (I've had problems myself) that many SATA controllers are
still buggy/not supported on plan 9.

Toshiba Satellite 2800? I don't think  you have the same laptop. That
2800 was a "single core" computer. 2800s are a whole series of laptops
2800-500 would be a
celeron based one, etc... (I am asuming that is the laptop you are
talking about because it is the only toshiba listed on the "previously
on plan 9" section)

Get the output from lspci on lunix or some other utility on windows or
whatever your usual poison is.

Suerte.