>  > But the nice thing is that you can edit text, copy attachments in/out,
>  > remove them, etc. etc.
>  this is already possible with upas/fs, isn't it? also, i get the benefit
>  of not being tied into message formats. for example, i can use imap.

Nope. If you try to remove an attach you remove the mail.
What I like of your way  is that making upas/fs understand this mbox format
makes
all other tools available.

>  in addition, doesn't storing mail your way increase the storage requirements?

No. Same file sent multiple times with different mails (which I do get a lot)
only
consumes a single place on venti.

>  also, what do you do about header parsing without upas/fs's help?

I run upas/fs on the raw file (e.g., in the Send script that sends this reply)

>  (storing small mailboxes as a mdir even consumes more resources than
>  a mbox. unfortunately, i have to account for massive mail boxes.)

(are there small mboxes anymore? ;)

I know, but it's so covenient to do a "looktags msgs quanstro mbox" and get the
paths/lines for messages relevant; etc.