> Is anyone running venti with raw disk partitions on Unix? I've got a
> nice large disk to dedicate to it, and would like to do it without
> needlessly imposing another fs, if possible, but am running into
> problems. The blocker now is fmtarenas is complaining that it
> "can't determine size of partition" for raw disk partitions.

I've used raw disk partitions on FreeBSD recently,
and raw disk partitions on Linux a while back.
What OS are you running, and what does

        9 ls -l /dev/your-disk

print?  Assuming it prints a size of 0, you need to figure
out how to get the real disk size out of the kernel.
See /usr/local/plan9/src/lib9/_p9dir.c.

Russ