> This machine has to deliver all mail to my ISPs smtp so I set the
> rewrite script to rewrite.gateway. The ISPs smtp rejected my mail
> though because it expected a From: line different to my [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> or the default $fd set in remotemail. I added a

is the problem that you require that the smtp helo domain be different
from the envelope sender (the $address in the smtp "mail from
$address" line?) is this why you can't set $fd to something that won't
be rejected and still have your From: lines properly rewritten?

> 'From: "ckeen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>'
>
> line to /mail/box/ckeen/headers but this does not seem to have any
> effect. I thus added a names.remote file with
>
> 'ckeen [EMAIL PROTECTED]'

according to the man page, the standard place for this information
would be a file listed in /mail/lib/fromfiles, and alias mail should
be given the -f switch.  (maybe there's a difference for gatways that
i'm missing?)

> - shouldn't the headers file work too?

the envelope sender isn't the same as the rfc822 sender so
no, i don't think that should work.