On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 12:49 PM, erik quanstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> in this model, all plan 9 does is add an extra layer of goo
>>> on top of linux.  it's not like you can avoid admining
>>> linux by hiding on a vm running on linux.
>>>

>> That's not entirely true depending on the virtualization layer used.
>> I'm not experienced yet with vx32, but for example, lguest/kvm/xen can
>> be setup to pass-through device access  to network, disk, audio,
>> whatever.  The logical partition running Plan 9 can be essentially
>> pinned to a processor (or processors) and on that processor it rules
>> the roost.  Linux just deals with device access.
>
> you didn't explain the part where you avoid admining the
> linux host.

I setup every machine on my network to tftpboot (BIOS), and they all
tftpboot a kernel+ramdisk which has everything necessary to startup
lguest/kvm plan9 and passthrough I/O requests to the disk/network.
Admin done.

Alternatively I could do something clever like kvmfs or xcpu or some
combination thereof an boot arbitrary images on partitions on the
cluster of drones -- but the most simple example is the one given
above.

          -eric