i don't understand this
1.  plan 9 never used a static source port for queries,
and more importantly

Erm, sequential source ports are close enough.

2.  who does recursive queries on external interfaces?
i would have considerd this a configuration error and
security problem ten years ago.

Tell that to the rest of the internet. It's not that
simple, either. I am using recursive capability as an
example of making an attack extremely easy. I could
also send you an e-mail with HTML that loads images
from a specific domain name. There are a million other
vectors that are just as predictable because of the
luxury of web2.0. Recursive queries obviously just
make this simpler for the attacker.