here is a thought:

the kernel does mmap for code/data. This is because we think of a file
as a segment of data that somehow maps well to a segment of memory.

You wouldn't execute code from a stream, now, would you?

Well, this: http://www.ambric.com/

has hardware channels. And you can
call from channel
and execute code being sent down a channel to you from another cpu.

There's no real analogue to this in any OS I've used for a while ...

You could write the mcilroy sieve in this very directly. You could
even, when starting a new thread, push the code down to the next cpu.
And that cpu is paused in a call from channel until it gets its code.
A nice way to keep them idle until you need them.

it's a very interesting architecture, to say the least. For me anyway
the most novel thing I've seen in a while.

ron