> I tried setting mem, bcmem, and icmem all to 1M but no improvement.
> They are not set by default, and trying the configuration shown in the
> man page actually prevents the system from booting (out of memory).
>
> John

perhaps i'm pointing out the obvious.  have you tried something as simple
as ps to identify culprits?

        ps -a|sort +4nr|sed 10q

on my system, i get

(names changed to protect the guilty)

xxx          151013    1:48   0:21   346784K Pread    fs ?
yyy          157084    0:11   0:03   299780K Pread    fs ?
yyy          162896    0:04   0:01   281240K Pread    fs ?
zzz          158720   13:31   2:09   132616K Pread    fs ?
[...]

suprise, suprise.  it's upas/fs leading the charge.
(the leading upas/ is of course dropped from the fs entries,
just as it would be for /bin/ls.)

venti & fossil, being threaded programs sharing a heap,
will appear to be using more memory than they are.  ps doesn't
provide any easy way of figuring this out but if /proc/$pid/segment
shows >1 references (the last field) for the Data segment, then
there are that many procs sharing the same heap.  baring
enormous executables, text, stacks or numbers of procs sharing
the same heap, this should be pretty close the memory usage
for the entire set of procs.