> To me it looks more like a consequence of Plan 9's treatment of files as
> sequences of bytes/chars/runes rather then sequences of lines as is common
> in Unix. Basically, you can't scroll beyond the end of the file, and if the

unix and plan 9 agree: a file is an ordered sequence of bytes. unix
read/write/seek are measured in the same units as plan 9
pread/pwrite/seek: bytes.

but i think you may be talking about vi.  but even here,
the problem only happens on the first line.  i think it's just
a garden variety bug.  no philosophy need apply.

> Rio and sam show the same behaviour, by the way.

indicating exactly where to look.  (libframe.)