Sam cannot handle file names with spaces.  There is one way to
work around this that I can think of without renaming the file.  Make
a new buffer with nothing in it.  ("B " without the quotes is how you
do that.)  Then

<cat 'a b'
edit
,>cat > 'a b'

Clunky but so be it. Sam comes from a system where spaces in
file names made no sense.

-rob