* Eris Discordia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I guess because terms of service for a home user do not cover serving from
> the user's site. Ron Minnich said it's his home machine so I assume he has
> paid for a plan with the word "home" somewhere in the plan title or the
> ToS. ISPs like to distinguish "servers" from "clients" so that they can
> safely cram as many little "clients" into one big channel as possible.

Yeah, that's this kind of ISP which shits on net neutrality and other
fundamental concepts of the internet. Such traitors deserve their routes
deannounced from time to time (route flapping can be a nice game ;-o).

> A dial-up ISP I once bought services from used to block ICMP. When I
> complained they said it was to safeguard the users against Smurf attacks.
> I knew it was to safeguard themselves against users snooping into their
> poorly configured internal network. I went as far as getting a prompt from
> one of their routers--it had a never-configured telnet server running--but
> I didn't know what to do next. It was no use anyway.

Why didn't you just try out the factory settings and fix the problem
by yourself ? ;-O

cu

 cellphone: +49 174 7066481   email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   skype: nekrad666