Fun space scifi:

Recently, I've liked Jack McDevitt's stuff (read most of Academy
series), and James P. Hogan's (read most of Giant's series). However,
I hate the Internet now because these guys have blogs and I really
just would prefer not to learn about them personally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_McDevitt#Bibliography
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giants_series

I only mention them because I found them by accident, and not they're
not (to my knowledge) part of the typical cannon of Clarke, Heinlein,
Asimov, etc.

Computer nerd tech-fi:

I heart William Gibson, but unless you're into the style, his earlier
stuff can be kind of dense. Neuromancer is the earlier work (80s era),
the Bridge series is more accessible (and clearly written after Gibson
read Stephenson's Snow Crash, but that's okay because Stephenson wrote
Quicksilver after reading Difference Engine).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Gibson#Neuromancer

And strangely enough, I've found that for really light reading, Tom
Clancy's stuff has a tendency to tickle my sci/tech bone, even though
I doubt anyone considers it sci-fi. Submarines are cool. :)

Anyway, it's a broad genre, and I hope you're prepared for the
millions of replies.