>> secondly, "reveal" is meant to drop into background, accepting
>> connections on TCP/4523 where it replies with the concatenation of the
>> originating IPv4 address and port number.
>
> is there a reason for not using listen(8)?  all that is needed is a
> script in /bin/service/tcp4523 nearly identical /bin/service/tcp565

Yes, because I'm trying to tighten up on APE so that it makes sense
when in turn it is "ported" to GCC.  Enough people think GCC is a
worthwhile investment, even though it seems like a lot of effort to
me, that it is worth getting APE and GNU to converge as much as
possible to avoid unnecessary repetition.

++L