On Dec 18, 2008, at 7:26 PM, ron minnich wrote:
On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 7:06 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <r...@sun.com> wrote:
Its fun, yes. But I believe this is more of a testament to the statelessness
of the NFS
plus the fact that the "end of file" is not a well defined offset (unlike
beginning of
the file).
no, it's even worse with stateful systems.

Why? Please elaborate.

I can see how a trivial change to 9P's open can lead to a desired
behavior of append-on-the-server. But the open is only there because
9P is stateful.

If you don't have a permanent channel to your data it becomes
very difficult to ask for particular processing of read/writes.

All in all, I don't think I agree with your comment.

Thanks,
Roman.