On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 12:01 -0500, erik quanstrom wrote:
> data would be helpful.

Indeed! Personally, I'm not old enough to have lived
through most of these wars to tell a story.

> nobody here has shown any version
> of solaris to be slow forking, much less that it is slow
> forking because of accounting.  my dimly-remembered
> data support the conclusion that the now-ancient 670mp
> had a poor mmu, not that solaris was good or bad.

Here's my understanding of Sun's oral history: MMU
was, indeed, an issue. But somehow it wasn't really
about shared objects at the time, but a simple COW
machinery being slow. Thus vfrok() was born as an attempt
to avoid *any* MMU work.

Could it also be the birth of "Solaris's fork() being
slow myth"?

Thanks,
Roman.