I could swear that I remember the following question being asked during
the times when 9P2000 was being introduced, but I simply can't find
any relevant threads. I do apologize if my google-foo is failing me,
but here it goes: what is the reason for not allowing writes to the
directories (with the append-only semantics and stat structures
payloads, of course)?

Is it simply because since we can't really get rid of create (because
of the transactional nature of create-open) it was deemed to be
unimportant to have directory writing semantics or was there a
subtler reason that I can't fully recall.

Thanks,
Roman.