Does creative masoshism count as GSoC project?  I dont know :)

Hm...  These points all belong to the big topic, getting modern linux
distro binaries (NTPL stuff) to work.  This would be a good thing
because I'm stuck on some old debian sarge that was just moved to the
archives.

Step one would be to get the simple single-threaded stuff to run like
echo and cat.  The part point here is TLS.  I had a somewhat working
plan9 driver for it but never packaged it up because i wanted the
whole thing working before submitting a kernel patch. You may later
progress to multithreaded apps wich use futex syscall.

The way I work on linuxemu is randomly trying stuff out, see where it
crashes...  try to understand why it crashes...  implement/fix
syscalls and try again.  Sometimes it easy and sometimes you scratch
your head for a several months.  Its hard to estimate the time needed
to get X running because you never know what crazy optimization shit
the linux/libc guys come up with next to make you suffer.

Here is always a huge risk of failure in linuxemu because all the
details are in Ulrich Dreppers head only or encrypted with
c-preprocessor-ifdef-encryption in the glibc-code so getting help is
very hard and most of the stuff you have to find out yourself (this
may cause brain damage over time).

I cant (officialy) mentor you as I'm short of time and have no
scientific background or something, but I will try to give you all
infeormation/code and support I have...  Its good to hear that someone
starts taking over some work!  :) Just drop me an email.  I may be
in irc from time to time too but dont count on it.

--
cinap
--- Begin Message ---

--