2009/4/6 erik quanstrom <quans...@quanstro.net>:
>> is there any good reason for a double click (in rio, sam, acme, ...)
>> to select a word  (probably) defined by sth. like
>> /[a-zA-Z0-9_]+/
>> and not sth. white-space delimited instead?
>
> acme is for programming.  the existing behavior is
> much better for programming where strings are generally
> delimited by ".

 rxvt-unicode has an option where you can have the selection grow on
subsequent clicks. ie, double click selects a word, another click
widens the selection to a whitespace seperated token, another click
widens the selection to the whole line, then
sentence/paragraph/etc/etc.
 I only ever used it for 5 minutes in between the feature being
introduced and me working out how to turn it off, but it may be a way
to get the best of both worlds, if awkwardly.
-sqweek