> Hello 9fans.
> I'm thinking of writing a NAT implementation for plan 9. I have searched the
> archives and I'm not quite sure how to get started.
>
> As I see it there could be three ways of approaching this:
>
> 1. User space implementation using ipmux
> 2. User space using pkt interfaces in ipifc.
> 3. Kernel using something like sources/dho/nfil

one could simply extend ipmux.  however, the primary
drawback to that approach is that it would break most
existing setups that use a public ip stack and a second
private ip stack.

one approach would be to provide a fakey-fakey ethernat
ethernet device which could decide where the frames go.
then the ip stacks could use the ethernat interfaces instead
of the real ones.