> The Plan9 project started in 1980, took around 9 years to be solid
> enough to be usable and that too by the internal and, or lab people
> [http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/9.html] only.

I was using plan9 outside of bell labs in 1993 - not very aggressively
I admit but I didn't have the skils then that I do now. It was solid
and usable at the time.

> Whereas, the FreeBSD
> and, or Linux (though not an OS or Unix variant in a sense) came into
> existence later in 1993 and 1991 respectively are more popular among any
> other variants of Unix.

I first remember seeing references to Linux as a reworking of the Minix project
in 1988. BSD has been around forever.

> IMHO, the Plan9 and, or Inferno are just failed attempts and have no
> real and, or viable commercial and, or industrial use in absence of
> hardware drivers and, or not the killer but some useful applications.

You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion, its a shame you didn't
do more research however.

> Moreover, the user interface and, or window manager i.e. rio is too
> technical for an average user to put in to a good use.

Too "technical"? Really?

> It lacks usual
> buttons for minimizing (hiding), maximizing, controlling windows. You
> can't even send a window to background and even if Inferno's wm has some
> of these including title bars, but the meanings and, or behavior of the
> same is quite different from other popular GUI systems.

Here we agree

-Steve                          Registered Plan9 User #954854834843