s/could be/is/

From real world product experience across multiple operating systems
and architectures.

So there is at least one example to support the case for callbacks. I am pretty convinced there are many more examples.

--On Thursday, June 11, 2009 19:34 -0400 "Devon H. O'Dell" <devon.od...@gmail.com> wrote:

2009/6/11 Eris Discordia <eris.discor...@gmail.com>:
but given that plan 9 is about having a system that's easy
to understand and modify, i would think that it would be
tough to demonstrate that asyncronous i/o or callbacks
could make the system (or even applications) simplier.
i doubt that they would make the system more efficient,
either.

do you have examples that demonstrate either?

I can't claim I have anything in code which would be necessary for an
actual demonstration or for going beyond the "talk talk talk" stage. I
can, however, present one simple case: in some applications asynchronous
name resolving is a must and it can be realized by either of threads or
callbacks. Crawlers and scanners come to mind. Spawning threads for DNS
requests could be more costly than registering a set of callbacks within
one thread and then harvesting the results within that same thread.

s/could be/is/

From real world product experience across multiple operating systems
and architectures.