On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 23:50:14 -0400
erik quanstrom <quans...@quanstro.net> wrote:

> On Mon Jul  6 19:41:36 EDT 2009, jrm8...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 7:37 PM, ron minnich<rminn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I just ported the linux driver
> >
> > I'm interested in how hard this is, and how it might be made easier.
>
> that depends.  i've found that porting a driver or working backwards
> from an example is often harder than just writing a new driver.
> this is because the hard part is understanding how the hardware works,
> not in coding that knowledge up.  and unfortunately, looking at a
> linux driver hasn't been very instructive to me.
>
> i'm sure one could create a compatability layer for certain driver types
> along the lines of ndiswrapper.  but given the instability of linux
> internal interfaces, this might be finished about the same time as
> duke nukem forever.

What about emulating a usb-ethernet device in software? (Assuming the beagle
board's usb interface can operate in gadget mode as opposed to host mode.) The
Linux kernel does a good job of emulating a usb ethernet device, I use it
extensively. I rather assumed the Bitsy port had this already, but perhaps not.

--
Ethan Grammatikidis

Those who are slower at parsing information must
necessarily be faster at problem-solving.