On Tue Jul 14 02:41:02 EDT 2009, sqw...@gmail.com wrote:
>  I suspect the main inhibitor there is that (as I recall) it stomps
> all over the existing soundblaster code. These days AC97 is probably
> more desirable, but it would be nice to have them coexist.

that's going to require thinking out how ac97 can provide a strict
superset of sb.  as a first step, it would make sense for ac97 to
bring it's own implementation of #A to the party.

there are other sound models, it would be nice to design ac97's
interface in such a way that it can work with other sound models.