2. do we have anybody successfully managing that much storage that is
    also spread across the nodes? And if so, what's the best practices
    out there to make the client not worry about where does the storage
    actually come from (IOW, any kind of proxying of I/O, etc)

http://labs.google.com/papers/gfs.html
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/hdfs_design.html

I'm trying to see how the life after NFSv4 or AFS might look like for
the clients still clinging to the old ways of doing things, yet
trying to cooperatively use hundreds of T of storage.

the two I mention above are both used in conjunction with
distributed map/reduce calculations.  Calculations are done
on the nodes where the data is stored...

Thanks,
Roman.

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/