> 9p is a ping-pong protocol.  this gives it *consistent* latency.
> this is good for audio.

Some years ago when I set up the audio stuff in my house I had to
solve the task of streaming the output from mpd (a linux audio player)
running on my file server to the sound card in my room. I couldn't
find any low latency linux software, so I used inferno to export a pcm
fifo file. Mounting this I have stable <50ms end-to-end delay over
wireless, haven't found any easier/better working alternative yet.
It shows, the plan9/inferno audio implementation is working out great
so far for a general purpose os.
But if you want less latency I don't think 9p or even tcp is the way
to go. This is why people use udp and all those "simple" protocols for
streaming.